Senior Planner – The Town of Mill Valley, CA
Salary: $8,180 – $10,961/month + benefits
Deadline: July 17, 2022 – 5:00 p.m.
The Town of Mill Valley is pleased to announce a recruitment for the position of Master Planner in our Urban Planning & Construction department.
Under general direction, the Senior Planner will direct, supervise and perform complex professional level tasks and services related to current and future planning activities; provide technical advice and training to other technical and planning staff; oversee the day-to-day operation of the planning desk and ongoing planning projects, particularly in the areas of single-family, multi-family and commercial design review. The Senior Planner will work with City departments, the Planning Commission, external agencies, the business community, neighborhood associations and the general public on policies and procedures, regulations, design guidelines and other policies and related procedures on land use, environment and planning; and provide support to the Director of Planning and Construction.
The ideal candidate will have an excellent understanding of urban planning principles, practices and techniques. Additionally, the ideal candidate will have project management, critical thinking and independent decision-making skills, exemplary customer service skills and a passion for public service. The ideal candidate should be able to review and process eligibility applications, prepare written staff reports and CEQA environmental documents. The ideal candidate will possess a strong work ethic, the ability to prioritize tasks, the ability to work on a variety of projects with competing deadlines, and be adaptable and open to new situations, ideas, and challenges. The ideal candidate should also have a strong track record of exercising good judgment and a proven ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of audiences.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a degree in planning, architecture, landscape architecture, or a closely related field. A higher degree is preferred.
- Seven to ten years of progressively responsible planning experience.
- Experience working with two or more similar public agencies in California is preferred.
- Leave – the City offers a generous leave program:
- 15 holidays and floating holidays/personal days
- 2 to 5 weeks vacation depending on years of service
- “9/80” work schedule (optional)
- 8 days of administrative leave
- Health Insurance – The city provides the full Kaiser Family Plan premium or equivalent for employees who choose Western Health Advantage HMO.
- Dental Insurance – City provides full premium for Delta Dental
- New hires with no prior CalPERS service or with a break in CalPERS service of 6 months or more: 2% at age 62
- New “classic” CalPERS member employees with no break in service of more than 6 months: 2% @ 55
- 457 Deferred compensation – City provides up to $600/year in matching contributions for deferred compensation
- Other – the City also pays the premium for long-term disability insurance and life insurance ($50,000)
The City of Mill Valley uses CalOpps.org to accept and process job applications.
Resumes will not be accepted in place of the official City application form, but must accompany the application. All applications and CVs will be reviewed to select candidates whose qualifications appear to best match the job requirements. A limited number of qualified candidates may be invited to participate in the subsequent phase(s) of the recruitment process, which may include one or more of the following: written examination, performance review, assessment exercises, oral interviews and comprehensive verification of antecedents. Meeting the minimum qualifications does not guarantee advancement in the selection process.
Paper applications can be obtained from the City of Mill Valley at City Hall, 26 Corte Madera Avenue, Mill Valley, CA 94941 or by calling (415) 388-4033 x4835.
Human Resources Manager Seth Allingham
E-mail: [email protected]
Application link: https://www.calopps.org/mill-valley/job-20258314